Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Self-Compassion

I am a driven perfectionist. I can admit that. This is what has caused me to go above and beyond what anyone told me I might be capable of achieving based on my past.



I am intentional about what I feed myself, what I feed my family, how I speak to others--I even mind my own thought patterns and evaluate habits.

But I am guilty of not being very kind to myself.

I don't "go easy" on myself when I eat some junk food. Mind you--getting me to eat junk food requires isolating me from all healthy food choices for a minimum of 8 hours with only something fried as an option. Even then, I might prefer fasting to filling my body with free radicals.

Being around sick people all day in a clinical setting does funny things to you.

So when I read this article, I was surprised! Modern psychology is telling us to take it easy again.

It is well known that we as Americans have a culture of busyness. We must always be running ourselves ragged to feel that we've done something significant in our day--an unhealthy way to live. I am guilty of this lifestyle, although I am trying to work on it...

Anyhow, new studies are showing we are just as reactive towards ourselves with regard to dieting. Read the article here and tell me what you think.

Are you too easy on yourself with regards to diet? Too hard on yourself? Leave a comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment